WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Welcome to Chic and Cheap by Chacha; a Fashion and Lifestyle blog.
Join me for a dose of Chic and Cheap style, delicious meals recipes, home decoration tips and much more.
Be Creative. Be Adventurous. Be Unique. Be YOU!

Remember:
"It's not how much $$$ you spend....It's how AWESOME you make it look" !!!

Love, Chacha

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Home Cooking: Shrimp Tortilla Soup

I love Mexican food and that's a fact.
The infusion of spices is irresistible to me, adding the smell and colorful ingredients....one of the best.
It's full of flavor and lots of spice, and I mean spicy HOT.
But not all their dishes have to be eaten with a glass of water next to you to extinguish the fire that Mexican chilies possessed.
I'm almost an expert detecting a good Mexican dish, even thou I've only been in Mexico once. I've found good place to eat here in NYC. But not all restaurants specialized in Mexican cuisine have the magic touch.
Most of them lack spices and ingredients, like fresh cilantro. Sometimes even that little spicy taste is missed.

I've been practicing my culinary skills in Mexican cuisine and I believe is going very well.
Today I'm going to share with you one of my homemade dishes, one of my favorites so far; Shrimp Tortilla Soup.
As always, I make some adjustments in all my meals, either adding some extra ingredients like vegetables or maybe substituting one spice for another. But afraid don't be, it came out really delicious. And also remember this dish is very low budget even thou it has shrimps it won't cost you a lot of money.
I hope you make it, enjoy it and tell me all about it. Buen apetito!

With Love,
Chacha
 
Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 4 corn tortilla, cut into thin strips
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Coarse salt
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced small
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Chili pepper, seeded or chili  powder to taste
  • 2 medium size potatoes (cut in small cubes)
  • 2 medium size carrots (cut in small cubes)
  • 1 can of crushed tomatoes 
  • 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 3 cups grilled corn kernels (from 4 ears corn) or frozen corn
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • Diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and lime (optional), for serving

Directions

  1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss tortilla with 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and crushed tomatoes; season with salt. Cook until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Add chili and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add broth, carrots and potatoes and bring to a boil or until last two ingredients are tender. Add corn and cook until for 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, 1 minute. Serve soup with tortilla strips and desired toppings.
Decorative Chilli at kitchen table


Organic Cilantro growing by windowsill

1 comment: