WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Welcome to Chic and Cheap by Chacha; a Fashion and Lifestyle blog.
Join me for a dose of Chic and Cheap style, delicious meals recipes, home decoration tips and much more.
Be Creative. Be Adventurous. Be Unique. Be YOU!

Remember:
"It's not how much $$$ you spend....It's how AWESOME you make it look" !!!

Love, Chacha

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Home Cooking : Chacha's Split Pea Soup

 On Sunday September 22nd is officially Fall.
But somehow it feels like it's been here for the past couple of weeks at least. When the weather gets so mellow and chillier it calls for comfort food, for me it's soup. But I really don't need a specific season to start eating soup, I love it any time. Today I'll be giving you my personal recipe, I call it;  Chacha's Split Pea Soup.
It's packed with nutrients, proteins and vitamins. Just the peas have Vitamin A, C, Carbohydrates, Iron and Calcium. *Cough (I did my homework). And for fun I added corn.
What can I say? I love corn and my little boy is literally "nuts" over corn as well... he can eat one everyday if I give it to him. He calls it "maize".
Below is the recipe for Chacha's Split Pea Soup.

                        Ingredients

1 pound split peas
5 bacon strips
1/2 lb smoked ham
Half of an Italian green pepper
Half of a red onion
A small bunch of cilantro
2 large garlic cloves
Salt and Pepper to taste
One can of chicken broth
One large carrot cut in small pieces
1 or 2 ears of corn

                        Preparation  


Boil the split peas in about 2 1/2 cups of water until soft and tender, for about 20 minutes or so.
Pour small amounts of water depending how dry they get, mashed them lightly if you like soup creamier.
Add carrots, corn and cook for 5 minutes. Then add bacon and smoked ham and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and seasoning along with the rest of ingredients, cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the Italian pepper, onion and cilantro are wilted and discard.
Superman eating "maize"
Serve with a side of white or brown rice.


PS
You can always substitute the bacon and ham and just add more vegetables.

Buen provecho!

Love, Chacha


 









No comments:

Post a Comment